DateStyle - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Withers
Subject DateStyle
Date
List pgsql-general
Can anyone tell if it is possible (and if yes how) to use a datestyle like:
II-AAA-IIII

where the "I" is an integer character and the "A" is an alpha character. An
example would be the 12th of Febuary 1949 would be displayed as
12-Feb-1949. I cannot find anything in the last last 18 months in the
archives and Bruce Momjian's book refers only to styles other than the one
I have asked about.

The reason I'm asking is that building a database to be compatible in
format to an Oracle database. Also it seems to me that whatever digit only
ordering one uses that it can be confusing to an outsider querying a
database unless they know the format whereas the format I'm looking for is
unambiguous.

A possible solution I thought of would be store the date as characters but
I'm not sure if I could date manipulation (like days between dates) using
characters as the data.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike Withers
University of Western Sydney