RPM is not like documented setup - Mailing list pgsql-ports

From Limousine Digest
Subject RPM is not like documented setup
Date
List pgsql-ports
The documentation references an install directory of /usr/local/pgsql.  The
RPM (I am using the Mandrake/Red Hat distribution) does not even create
/usr/local/pgsql.  It seems files are put directly into /usr/bin and /usr/lib.
I installed RPM postgresql v. 6.5.1-1 and postgresql-server v. 6.5.1-1.

There is nothing in /var/lib/pgsql.  I found a postgresql-data v. 6.3.2-10
on the Mandrake CD that puts files in /var/lib/pgsql.  It states that it is
supposed to be an inital database structure, but I can't get it to work.

What's up with /usr/local/pgsql not existing?  And if that is correct, what
should my PGLIB and PGDATA environment variables be?

Is there anything else I am missing or is there a special "You're a loser
and had to use an RPM and didn't compile it yourself documentation set?!"