Re: Multiple Spindles ( Was: Re: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed ) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Don Baccus
Subject Re: Multiple Spindles ( Was: Re: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed )
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 12:31 AM 1/14/00 -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>This would give you the ability to put all table from all databass onto
>one file system, and all indexes onto another, and all system files onto a
>third...
>
>I don't know, I'm oversimplying and spewing thoughts out
>again...but...*shrug*

This kind of hack would certainly be doable, but I guess the question
arises once again - is PostgreSQL shooting to be the Big Time or not?

I mean, the mere use of words like "Bronze Support" and "Silver Support"
remind one of Oracle :)

This particular issue of the placement of tables and indices pales
in importance compared to outer joins, for instance.  But once all
the big things are implemented, folks doing BIG JOBS will look at
Postgres as being a viable alternative.  And they'll then be disappointed
if they don't have the kind of control over files that they do with
Oracle or other big-time commercial DBs...the folks talking about
replication are coming from the same space, though much more ambitiously
(since a simple tablespace feature could be simple, while I can't
think of any simple replication hacks).

I'd like to see Postgres succeed in a big way.  I don't see it toppling
Oracle, but heck I can't see why Interbase can't be ground into dust.
Open Source, great functionality, maybe B+ on scalability etc (thus not
toppling Oracle but equal to most others) ... that's not too ambitious
a goal, is it?