Re: color by default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: color by default
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2020-03-26 07:36, Michael Paquier wrote:
> I am not sure that deleting all the mentions would be a good idea, as
> we'd lose track of which tool supports coloring or not, and that could
> confuse users.  What about switching the existing paragraph to a
> simple sentence with a link to the new appendix you are adding?  Say:
> "pg_foo supports <place_your_link_here>colorized output</>".

I didn't do this because it would create additional complications in the
man pages.  But there is now an index entry, so it's possible to find
more information.

>> +  <para>
>> +   The actual colors to be used are configured using the environment variable
>> +   (note plural).  The value is a colon-separated list of
>> +   <literal><replaceable>key</replaceable>=<replaceable>value</replaceable></literal>
>> +   pairs.  The keys specify what the color is to be used for.  The values are
>> +   SGR (Select Graphic Rendition) specifications, which are interpreted by the
>> +   terminal.
>> +  </para>
>
> A reference to SGR to understand better what's the list of values
> supported would be nice?

I'm not sure how to do that.  The full list of possible values is huge,
and exactly what is supported depends on the terminal.

>> +  <para>
>> +   The default value is <literal>error=01;31:warning=01;35:locus=01</literal>.
>> +  </para>
>
> Could it be possible to have more details about what those three
> fields map to?

I have added information about that and explained the example values.  I
think if you search for "Select Graphic Rendition" and look for the
example values, you can make sense of this.

Committed with those changes.  This closes the commit fest item.