Re: Automatic optimization of IN clauses via INNER JOIN - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Subject Re: Automatic optimization of IN clauses via INNER JOIN
Date
List pgsql-performance
http://www.xaprb.com/blog/2006/06/28/why-large-in-clauses-are-problematic/

>> But I am running PostgreSQL v8.3 and am observing generally that SELECT ... WHERE ... IN (a, b, c, ...) is much
slowerthan SELECT ... INNER JOIN (SELECT a UNION ALL SELECT b UNION ALL SELECT c ...)

> That's certainly not MY observation.  It would be interesting to see
> what's going on in your case but you'll need to provide more details.
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

I asked the same question many times, and answer was always the same -
there's no point in doing that...
well... I've been asked by folks at work, the same thing (for typical
engineer, grasping the idea of join can be hard sometimes...).

--
GJ