Re: Postgres database performance on 6 core Opteron vs 4 core Xeon - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Subject Re: Postgres database performance on 6 core Opteron vs 4 core Xeon
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

Returning to the real world of database performance, every dollar spent on your processors and expensive memory is one you can't spend on disks instead, so in reality AMD's cost effectiveness can make for a better overall database system at the same price point.  If you really need a lot of disks to make your app performance well, better to focus on that rather than trivia like how fast stuff moves around the memory bus.

If I might add something from my experience,  the CPU itself doesn't make much difference, but memory, is a big part of IO - and so it makes a difference , huge one between 800 and 1333 mhz bus there.

as for the rest, I second - all money spent on CPU are not spent on better discs. And that's a waste in DB world.
I suppose, the best interpretation of that would be - never go for faster CPU, but the bus, and memory is as much important as discs, controller, etc.

--
GJ