Re: How are locks managed in PG? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Subject Re: How are locks managed in PG?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 5:41 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think one of the points that proves this is the chunks of innovative
> code that have been put into postgresql that were basically written by
> one or two guys in < 1 year.  Small sharp teams can tackle one
> particular problem and do it very well in an open source project.

Which is precisely why big smart companies divide up projects into
smaller teams - to achieve same goal. it is well known fact, that more
developers means more chaos, and less done on time. As my friend puts
it - you cannot expect 9 pregnant woman to deliver in 1 month :) I
know for a fact that microsoft, xensource and few others tackle
projects in small teams of brilliant engineers.
 I don't know how oracle does it, but the whole thing is rather hudge,
so there must be quite few developers involved - at least in whole
middleware. Installing it on my laptop took about 2 hours (MBP, 2GB of
ram, centos) - compared to postgresql... Thank god pg developers not
decided to use java gui to 'script' whole thing, I think oracle would
be much better off without whole java crap around it (but that's just
my opinion).

--
GJ