Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz
Subject Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?
Date
Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-general

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz wrote:
currently postgresql is slower on RAID, so something tells me that little bit of compression underneeth will make it far more worse, than better. But I guess, Tom will be the man to know more about it.

What? PostgreSQL is slower on RAID? Care to define that better?

up to 8.3 it was massively slower on raid1 (software raid on linux), starting from 8.3 things got lot lot better (we speak 3x speed improvement here), but it still isn't same as on 'plain' drive.

--
GJ