Re: Missing important information in backup.sgml - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Gunnar \"Nick\" Bluth
Subject Re: Missing important information in backup.sgml
Date
List pgsql-docs
Am 23.11.2016 um 21:12 schrieb Gunnar "Nick" Bluth:

> Assertions (that I take as givens for anyone valueing his data...):
> - you have decent HW (BBU controller, HDD cache off, ECC RAM, redundant
> PSUs, ...)
> - you have a decent DC (UPS, AC, ...)

Erm... on rereading my own shit^H^H^H^Hmail... these two I obviously do
not rate as "given for anyone valueing his data":
> - you use a single DB server and/or no (synchronous) replication in place
> - your archive server is in the same DC (potentially the same machine as
> the DB server)

> - (in case of SAN) your storage correctly reports when it has written to
> disk/BBU cache
> - your OS (and/or archive_script) does not report RC=0 before all data
> has been _transmitted_ (think MongoDB... ;-)
> - (for the sake of completeness) fsync=on for PG

Another "funny" occasion btw. was a guy accidentaly pressing stop-A in a
SUN F6800 console, and being overly nervous entering "boot"... the POST
alone took 40 minutes, and then it started polling the dedicated
Clariion II ;-)

Cheers,
--
Gunnar "Nick" Bluth
RHCE/SCLA

Mobil +49 172 8853339
Email: gunnar.bluth@pro-open.de
In 1984 mainstream users were choosing VMS over UNIX.
Ten years later they are choosing Windows over UNIX.
What part of that message aren't you getting? - Tom Payne

Attachment