RE: Archiving Data to Another DB? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kumar, Virendra
Subject RE: Archiving Data to Another DB?
Date
List pgsql-general

Does this apply to SELECT calls as well or only for DMLs.

I am planning to use postgres_fdw but if it is going by one row at a time there will be a lot of round trip and defeat the purpose.

Regards,

Virendra.

From: Don Seiler [mailto:don@seiler.us]
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 2:53 PM
To: Adrian Klaver
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: Archiving Data to Another DB?

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Don Seiler <don@seiler.us> wrote:

Yeah, I saw the same with a 132 row insert. Now imagine that with a monthly 50 million row insert or delete. :p Thanks for the confirmation!

I went back to look at the postgres logs on my dev server. These logs are rotated once they hit 2G in size. One typical log from the middle of my test last night hit that in 13 minutes and had over 5.2 million DELETE calls. There a quite a few logs like this. That would not be fun for the disk space on the log volume, either.

Don.

--

Don Seiler
www.seiler.us

This message is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain
information that is PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL.

received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message
and its attachments and notify the sender immediately. Thank you.