Re: now getting log messages! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: now getting log messages!
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/31/2018 01:03 PM, Ian Bell wrote:
> Hello Adrian,
>
> Your suggestions have changed something and my messages are appearing in the log file.  As per your suggestion, I
enabled' log_connections' and 'log_disconnections' and restarted the server.

Hmm, again:)

Changing log_connections, log_disconnections would not have enabled
logging the 'log' messages. The server restart would be the likely
trigger for catching the logging settings for client_min_messages and
log_min_messages. What solicited the hmm was that in your first post you
said you had restarted the server multiple times when changing the
logging settings.

Do you have more then one instance of Postgres running on this machine?

If so maybe you where restarting the wrong server previously?

> I now have something to work with.  In addition, I now know what to expect when attempting to log messages (I'm a SQL
newbie).

On that score the 'log' message level is one you need to be careful of
as it ranks differently in the client versus in the log file:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/runtime-config-logging.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-LOGGING-WHEN

"client_min_messages (enum)

     Controls which message levels are sent to the client. Valid values
are DEBUG5, DEBUG4, DEBUG3, DEBUG2, DEBUG1, LOG, NOTICE, WARNING, ERROR,
FATAL, and PANIC. Each level includes all the levels that follow it. The
later the level, the fewer messages are sent. The default is NOTICE.
Note that LOG has a different rank here than in log_min_messages.
log_min_messages (enum)

     Controls which message levels are written to the server log. Valid
values are DEBUG5, DEBUG4, DEBUG3, DEBUG2, DEBUG1, INFO, NOTICE,
WARNING, ERROR, LOG, FATAL, and PANIC. Each level includes all the
levels that follow it. The later the level, the fewer messages are sent
to the log. The default is WARNING. Note that LOG has a different rank
here than in client_min_messages. Only superusers can change this setting.
"

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com