Re: [GENERAL] Cavium ThunderX Processors used for PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Cavium ThunderX Processors used for PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2/25/2017 8:33 AM, Arya F wrote:
> What would I get better results with 2X Cavium ThunderX processors
> with 96 cores or 2 × E5-2640 v3 with 16 cores?

depends as much on the storage IO subsystem and workload as it does on
the CPU.  does this 96 core system also have the sort of memory
bandwidth to keep up with the core count?  how fast are each of those
arm cores compared with the E5-2640v3 cores?

being  an ARM, software support will likely lag, and you'll probably
find yourself having to do a lot of your own compiling of stuff beyond
the basic OS.