Re: Archiving of pgsql-announce - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Archiving of pgsql-announce
Date
Re: Archiving of pgsql-announce  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
Re: Archiving of pgsql-announce  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-www
On 11/23/20 5:28 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> With the changes to pgsql-announce made a couple of months ago to have
> it synced up with the news on www.postgresql.org, we are now
> "archiving" news posts both on www.postgresql.org/about/newsarchive/
> and on www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-announce, with the second one
> archiving it without the formatting.
>
> I suggest that we stop the archiving of the list itself, and stick to
> just the news archive. We can also update the list description to
> explicitly say this with a link back of course.
>
> (We will of course continue to *send* it to the list, I'm just talking
> about the archives)
>
> AFAICT the only actual lost functionality in this would be that you
> can't get old news in mbox format.

-1; I think it may cause confusion to people who are subscribed to the
mailing lists who are looking up things that may be in the mailing list
archives.

Additionally, the email did technically go over the mailing list, and
per our archives policy[1], "this site is intended to provide an
accurate representation of the activity on the lists, and as such will
not be modified."

While I love our new news system, I think the archives are supposed to
serve the purpose of being the mailing list archives, and if we are
sending out mail over a public mailing list, we should archive it.

Additionally, the 3rd party mailing list aggregators are going to keep
archiving it anyway, so we may as well maintain the canonical source of
truth.

Jonathan

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/about/policies/archives/

Attachment