Re: [HACKERS] logical replication access control patches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Petr Jelinek
Subject Re: [HACKERS] logical replication access control patches
Date
Re: [HACKERS] logical replication access control patches  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 14/03/17 20:09, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Petr Jelinek
> <petr.jelinek@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Note that I am not necessarily saying it's better though, just trying to
>> explain. It definitely has drawbacks, as in order to grant publish on
>> one table you might be granting lots of privileges on various objects by
>> granting the role. So for granularity purposes Peter's PUBLISH privilege
>> for tables sounds better to me.
>
> I get that.  If, without the patch, letting user X do operation Y will
> require either giving user X membership in a role that has many
> privileges, and with the patch, will require only granting a specific
> privilege on a specific object, then the latter is obviously far
> better from a security point of view.
>
> However, what I'm not clear about is whether this is a situation
> that's likely to come up much in practice.  I would have thought that
> publications and subscriptions would typically be configured by roles
> with quite high levels of privilege anyway, in which case the separate
> PUBLISH privilege would rarely be used in practice, and might
> therefore fail to be worth using up a bit.  I might be missing a
> plausible scenario in which that's not the case, though.

Yeah that's rather hard to say in front. Maybe safest action would be to
give the permission to owners in 10 and revisit special privilege in 11
based on feedback?

Services