Re: "Service user account 'postgres' could not be created" -- 8.4.2-1 and Active Directory on Windows08 R2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Gould
Subject Re: "Service user account 'postgres' could not be created" -- 8.4.2-1 and Active Directory on Windows08 R2
Date
In response to "Service user account 'postgres' could not be created" -- 8.4.2-1 and Active Directory on Windows08 R2  (Greg Corradini <gregcorradini@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general

With R2, I had to install using the admin account.  I got those errors before.  It worked once I used a admin account.  If that doesn't work you might want to try turning UAC off, do the install and then turn back on.

Best Regards

Michael Gould

"Greg Corradini" <gregcorradini@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,
I'm getting 'service user account 'postgres' could not be created' when using the postgresql-8.4.2-1 one-click installer (i also get the same error with a new version of postgresql 8.4.8-1)

So i know in the past (version 8.3.x) there were problems with Windows Server 2008 R2 running Active Directory and postgresql around this same error. I'm running into exactly the same errors as described here:
http://forums.enterprisedb.com/posts/list/1516.page

After I get the error i cancel out of the installation, make sure there's no postgresql install, make sure there's no postgresql service running, blow away postgres user, make sure there is nothing in the registry and reboot.

I try to reinstall again and run into the same problem.

--
Greg

Michael Gould, Managing Partner
Intermodal Software Solutions, LLC