Re: Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400, re-installation failure PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!! (nearly fixed) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From George Weaver
Subject Re: Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400, re-installation failure PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!! (nearly fixed)
Date
In response to Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400, re-installation failure PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!! (nearly fixed)  ("Stephen Brearley" <mail@stephenbrearley.name>)
List pgsql-general

<Snip>

>Having been able to successfully connect to Postgres using both Navicat and
>pgAdmin, I then moved my \data_old back to the \9.2 folder on the D: drive,
>and modified the registry reference to point to this location..however I
>can't see my old tables.

>I can change my registry reference to point to D:\..\9.2\data or
>D:\..\9.2\data_old without any (apparently) undesirable consequences, but I
>just can't see my tables in the system, which makes me think I need to do
>more than this. I am unable to rename \data to move all my old files
>wholesale into that folder, as Windows won't let me, but if I move \base
>which appears to have all the database in it (and is about double the size
>in my old dataset), I get the same result, I can't see my tables.

>I realise Thomas at least will frown most deeply at these 'operations',
>though they often work as a low-tech solution in many programs. Clearly the
>best result would be able to pg_dump from my old data and pg_restore it
>into my new set up, but it seems I am not able to properly see my old data
>in the first place.

You could try:

    1. Changing the registry entry to point to the default data location on
the C: drive
    2. Using pg_ctl to point postgresql to D:\..\9.2\data or
D:\..\9.2\data_old

George

<Snip>