Re: Reliability with RAID 10 SSD and Streaming Replication - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From CSS
Subject Re: Reliability with RAID 10 SSD and Streaming Replication
Date
List pgsql-performance
On May 22, 2013, at 4:06 PM, Greg Smith wrote:

> And there are some other products with interesting price/performance/capacity combinations that are also sensitive to
wearout. Seagate's hybrid drives have turned interesting now that they cache writes safely for example.  There's no
cheaperway to get 1TB with flash write speeds for small commits than that drive right now.  (Test results on that drive
comingsoon, along with my full DC S3700 review)

I am really looking forward to that.  Will you announce here or just post on the 2ndQuadrant blog?

Another "hybrid" solution is to run ZFS on some decent hard drives and then put the ZFS intent log on SSDs.  With very
syntheticbenchmarks, the random write performance is excellent.

All of these discussions about alternate storage media are great - everyone has different needs and there are certainly
anumber of deployments that can "get away" with spending much less money by adding some solid state storage.  There's
reallyan amazing number of options today…

Thanks,

Charles