Re: Permissions - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Andre Labuschagne
Subject Re: Permissions
Date
List pgsql-novice
> On 20 Sep 2016, at 23:58, Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@lists.simkin.ca> wrote:
>
> On Tuesday 20 September 2016 23:47:53 Andre Labuschagne wrote:
>> Hi Skylar
>>
>> We are talking about thousands of installations within the organisation.
>> Ideally we need to allow the users at the installations to be able to
>> create their own databases and some of them we supply from head office.
>> The ones we supply applications will be using.  When the on site
>> administrators use something like pgAdmin they must not be able to tamper
>> with the databases that we have supplied - no backing up or accessing and
>> so on.  Both Sybase and Mimer allow this as explicit login and password is
>> required to each database, even if you are a super user.
>
> PostgreSQL will definitely not help you with that. I find it hard to believe
> any database will allow you to ship a copy to a local admin but will have it
> somehow not be readable by them, but good luck with the commercial products if
> they claim to be able to.
>

> --

Hi Alan

We have experience with both products I mentioned and have had experience with them for the last twenty years or so
[beenin this game for 33 years now - from DOS1.0 and Unix and Zenix to Linux etc].  They do not claim and no luck is
required. You better believe it.  All permissions ship with the database.  It works quite brilliantly as the only
accessto the databases shipped is through the apps that ship and no tool will allow tampering with the objects that
havebeen explicitly granted to specific users by the owners of the objects.  It works very well.  We even provide live
backupapps that they can run - an app does that as well.  They can copy the backed up files but cannot access them with
anytool without being asked for a login and password.

We were hoping we could achieve a similar thing with PG for a new project.  We may have to stick with one of the other
two.

Cheers
Andre