Re: How to include PostgreSQL Copyright notice - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How to include PostgreSQL Copyright notice
Date
List pgsql-general
"patrick k ." <patrick+pgsql@pioneerdigital.com> writes:
> There seems to be a slight uncertainty on what and how should our
> software provide all that is required to conform to the
> PostgreSQL (BSD) licensing terms and conditions.

By and large, the BSD license doesn't put *any* requirements on you.
We'd get unhappy if you tried to claim you owned Postgres, but short
of that you can include it in your product without any problem.

>   - Is including the COPYRIGHT file from the PostgreSQL sources as
>     part of our distribution be:
>       + Sufficient?
>       + A starting point?

Sufficient, certainly; some would say you needn't do even that.
If you wanted to mention "This product uses PostgreSQL, which you can
learn more about at http://www.postgresql.org/" then everyone would be
happy.  You need not do that, but it'd be a polite thing to do.

>   - Do we need to have a hardcopy of the contents in COPYRIGHT
>     file included with our hardcopy documentation?

Not if you don't want to.

>   - Should any of our software display PostgreSQL Copyright
>     information:

Not required.  The strictest reading of the BSD license is that
the notice has to be present somewhere in your distribution.
Putting it on a splash screen is surely more than is needed.

            regards, tom lane