Re: pg_upgrade: when the --old-bindir requires "additional" $libdir/ plugins? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_upgrade: when the --old-bindir requires "additional" $libdir/ plugins?
Date
Re: pg_upgrade: when the --old-bindir requires "additional" $libdir/ plugins?
List pgsql-general
Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@redhat.com> writes:
> . and it seems like the hstore.so was somewhat intimately integrated into
> OP's database so the '/usr/bin/pg_dump --schema-only --binary-upgrade
> --format=custom' called through 'pg_upgrade' failed with:
>   pg_dump: [archiver (db)] query failed: ERROR:  could not access file
>   "$libdir/hstore": No such file or directory
> Which means that the dump from old datadir, with old server (without
> hstore.so packaged) failed.  But playing with hstore.so a bit, the upgrade
> always worked smoothly for me even without the "old" hstore.so

Hi Pavel,

There are certainly plenty of reasons why extension .so's might be needed
during pg_dump, even in a binary-upgrade situation.  The first example
that comes to mind is that an hstore-type constant appearing in a view
definition would require hstore_out() to be invoked while dumping the view
definition.

I don't remember anymore whether I'd set up the postgresql-update package
to include the contrib modules for the old server version.  If I didn't,
it was an oversight :-(.

            regards, tom lane