Re: Getting rid of wal_level=archive and default to hot_standby + wal_senders - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Getting rid of wal_level=archive and default to hot_standby + wal_senders
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2015-02-03 11:00:43 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Could we, maybe, even make it a derived value rather than one that is
>> explicitly configured?  Like, if you set max_wal_senders>0, you automatically get
>> wal_level=hot_standby?

> Our experience with derived gucs isn't that great. Remember the whole
> effective_cache_size mess? Maybe we just need to find a better way to
> implement that though, instead of avoiding it from here on.

We've proven that it's a bad idea to have a GUC whose default value
depends on another one.  However, I thought the proposal here was
to get rid of wal_level as a user-visible knob altogether.  That
seems like a fine idea if we can drive the decision off other GUCs
instead.