Re: Making serial survive pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Making serial survive pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Rod Taylor" <rbt@zort.ca> writes:
> If we have sequences pick new names automatically, it may not pick the
> same name after dump / restore as it had earlier -- especially across
> versions (see TODO entry).
> So don't we need a way to suggest the *right* name to SERIAL?

No.  IMHO, if we change the naming convention for serial sequences (which
seems unlikely, except that it might be indirectly affected by changing
NAMEDATALEN), then we'd *want* the new naming convention to take effect,
not to have pg_dump scripts force an old naming convention to be
preserved.

I realize there's a potential for failing to restore the setval()
information if the name actually does change, but I'm willing to live
with that.