Re: Newbie questions relating to transactions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Newbie questions relating to transactions
Date
List pgsql-general
Carl Sopchak <carl.sopchak@cegis123.com> writes:
> On Sunday, March 08, 2009, Gregory Stark wrote:
>> What do you mean you're running out of memory?

> "ERROR: Out of Memory" is what I meant when I said I was running out of
> memory!  :-)  This is returned by psql, but it is the postmaster process that
> is hitting the wall.

Oh?  Postgres doesn't spell its out-of-memory errors that way.  Please
quote the *exact* message you got, not some approximation.

Also, if this was a server-side out-of-memory problem, there should be a
memory usage dump appearing in the postmaster log, which would help
identify exactly what the problem is.

            regards, tom lane