Re: Log notice that checkpoint is to be written on shutdown - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Log notice that checkpoint is to be written on shutdown
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> * Andres Freund (andres@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
>> On 2014-10-09 09:44:09 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> -1.  Every time we've turned on default logging of routine events,
>>> there's been pushback and it was eventually turned off again as log spam.

>> We're talking about 2 log message per checkpoint_timeout interval
>> here. That's pretty darn far away from log spam. Was there really any
>> case of such low frequency message causing ire?

> For embedded devices and similar small-scale systems, I can see Tom's
> point.  At the same time, I would expect those to require sufficient
> configuration that also setting log_checkpoints to 'off' wouldn't be a
> huge deal.

Here's the problem as I see it: DBAs will be annoyed by the spam and will
turn it off.  Then they'll still be confused when a shutdown takes a long
time.  So this is no fix at all for the original complaint.

I'm also not entirely convinced that checkpoints have anything to do with
the complaint.  Once we get a shutdown request, we're going to have to
perform a checkpoint, which we do at full speed, no delays (or at least
did so last I checked).  Whether a checkpoint was already in progress is
more or less irrelevant.  It's always been like that and I can't recall
anybody complaining about it.  I suspect Marti is correct that the real
problem is elsewhere.