Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy@druid.net> writes:
> I would like to propose a new border setting.

That code is horrendously overcomplicated and unreadable already :-(
I'm not too eager to add more variants to it.

> The reason for this is to allow the output to be fed directly into any
> system using Restructured text as described in
> http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickref.html.

Is that *really* going to work?  What about quoting/escaping
conventions?

Also, how many of those "any systems" actually exist?  Markup
conventions are a dime a dozen.

On the whole I think it ought to be sufficient to support XML output
for people who want easily-machine-readable query output.