Re: Installing PGDG on a fresh CentOS 5.6 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Installing PGDG on a fresh CentOS 5.6
Date
List pgsql-general
Alexander Farber <alexander.farber@gmail.com> writes:
> I have installed CentOS from a CentOS-5.6-x86_64-bin-DVD-1of2.iso
> and then installed PGDG because I want to have PostgreSQL 8.4.7:

I'm not sure if CentOS is caught up, but postgresql 8.4.7 is available
for RHEL5 from Red Hat --- it's called "postgresql84".  Possibly you'd
have better luck with that than with Devrim's RPMs.

> Then I'm trying to install the PGDG-packaged PostgreSQL,
> but keep getting the error message I don't understand:

It seems to be trying to update a 32-bit version of postgresql-devel:

> ---> Package postgresql-devel.i386 0:8.1.23-1.el5_6.1 set to be updated

If you have that installed, you probably need to remove it before you
can install a 64-bit version, quite aside from any version differences.
-devel packages typically are not multilib safe.

            regards, tom lane