Re: Roadmaps 'n all that - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Roadmaps 'n all that
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> I propose a modest experiment: for the 8.3 development cycle, let's try
>> to agree (in the next month or so) on a roadmap of what major features
>> should be in 8.3 and who will make each one happen.

> Well, I think the what is more important that the who -- we can switch
> "whos" if that's what it takes to make the "what" happen.  Likely, we
> will have to.

No doubt --- but if there's not someone specific who's agreed to take on
each item on the roadmap, then what is it but pie-in-the-sky wishing?

I'm entirely comfortable with the idea that we put some things on the
roadmap that end up not being done when 8.3 release rolls around.
We've been disappointed that way a few times before ;-) ... we won't
be worse off if it happens again, and I'd rather aim high than low.

I think the important point to try for in this iteration is that someone
signs up for each thing the community thinks is important to get done,
and that we all believe no one has taken on anything they can't credibly
get done.