Re: Patch for collation using ICU - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch for collation using ICU
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Not until ICU is released under a BSD license ...

> Well, readline isn't BSD either, but we use it.  It is any different?

Did you read the license?  Some of the more troubling bits:

: It is the understanding of INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES CORPORATION
: that the purpose for which its publications are being reproduced is
: accurate and true as stated in your attached request.

(er, which attached request would that be?)

: Permission to quote from or reprint IBM publications is limited to the
: purpose and quantities originally requested and must not be construed as
: a blanket license to use the material for other purposes or to reprint
: other IBM copyrighted material.

: IBM reserves the right to withdraw permission to reproduce copyrighted
: material whenever, in its discretion, it feels that the privilege of
: reproducing its material is being used in a way detrimental to its
: interest or the above instructions are not being followed properly to
: protect its copyright.

: IBM may have patents or pending patent applications covering subject
: matter in this document. The furnishing of this document does not give
: you any license to these patents. You can send license inquiries, in
: writing, to:

: For license inquiries regarding double-byte (DBCS) information, contact
: the IBM Intellectual Property Department in your country or send
: inquiries, in writing, to: