Re: [pgsql-packagers] Palle Girgensohn's ICU patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Palle Girgensohn
Subject Re: [pgsql-packagers] Palle Girgensohn's ICU patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> 26 nov 2014 kl. 15:56 skrev Neil Tiffin <neilt@neiltiffin.com>:
>

> On Nov 26, 2014, at 8:21 AM, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> I find it hard to believe the original premise of this thread. We knew
>> there were some problems with OSX and FreeBSD but surely they can't be
>> completely broken?
>
> Ever tried to use Spotlight for searching (English) on the Mac, not completely broken, just not reliable.  This does
notsurprise me in the least for OSX.  The Mac has, in recent history, become a “looks good", but the details may or may
notbe really correct platform.

> I thought FreeBSD was a preferred OS for PostgreSQL?  This does surprise me.

It works fine if you use the English language, or if you don't use utf-8. And it works fine with utf-8 if you don't
careabout "real world sorting", or if you do the sorting in your application anyway (most OS:es collations are really
brokenfor non-english locales anyway).

So for a great number of people, it works great. For the rest of us, well, I use ICU... :)