Re: Have vacuum emit a warning when it runs out of maintenance_work_mem - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Have vacuum emit a warning when it runs out of maintenance_work_mem
Date
Re: Have vacuum emit a warning when it runs out of maintenance_work_mem  ("Guillaume Smet" <guillaume.smet@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-patches
Jim Nasby <decibel@decibel.org> writes:
> Any time this happens it's generally a nasty surprise for users.

Really?  Running out of work memory is expected on large tables.

> It would be nice to throw them an explicit warning that it's occurring.

I think this is a bad idea.  It's furthermore pretty useless in the
autovacuum world, since no one is likely to see the warning.

            regards, tom lane