Re: Feature Freeze Date for Next Release - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Feature Freeze Date for Next Release
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> writes:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>> Can I ask when the Feature Freeze for next release will be?

> Also, from  http://www.postgresql.org/about/press/faq

>   "Q: When will 8.4 come out?
>    A: Historically, PostgreSQL has released approximately
>       every 12 months and there is no desire in the community
>       to change from that pattern. So expect 8.4 sometime in
>       the fourth quarter of 2008."

I think that text failed to get updated since last fall :-(

At this point, 12 months would be counted from 4 Feb 2008, so
something like first-quarter-2009 seems more likely.

The core committee is currently working on a proposal to make to
pgsql-hackers about how to schedule and manage the 8.4 development cycle
--- I think it's obvious to everyone that 8.3 did not go the way we
wanted, so something's got to be done to avoid a repeat of that fiasco.
Expect something about this in the next day or so.