Re: Avoiding tuple construction/deconstruction during joining - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Avoiding tuple construction/deconstruction during joining
Date
List pgsql-performance
=?windows-1250?Q?Miroslav_=8Aulc?= <miroslav.sulc@startnet.cz> writes:
> seriously, I am far below this level of knowledge. But I can contribute
> a test that (maybe) can help. I have rewritten the query so it JOINs the
> varchar() fields (in fact all fields except the IDPK) at the last INNER
> JOIN. Though there is one more JOIN, the query is more than 5 times
> faster (1975.312 ms) :-)

That confirms my thought that passing the data up through multiple
levels of join is what's killing us.  I'll work on a solution.  This
will of course be even less back-patchable to 8.0.* than Ogawa's work,
but hopefully it will fix the issue for 8.1.

            regards, tom lane