Re: improving write performance for logging application - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: improving write performance for logging application
Date
List pgsql-performance
Steve Eckmann <eckmann@computer.org> writes:
> Thanks for the suggestion, Tom. Yes, I think I could do that. But I
> thought what I was doing now was effectively the same, because the
> PostgreSQL 8.0.0 Documentation says (section 27.3.1): "It is allowed to
> include multiple SQL commands (separated by semicolons) in the command
> string. Multiple queries sent in a single PQexec call are processed in a
> single transaction...." Our simulation application has nearly 400 event
> types, each of which is a C++ class for which we have a corresponding
> database table. So every thousand events or so I issue one PQexec() call
> for each event type that has unlogged instances, sending INSERT commands
> for all instances. For example,

>     PQexec(dbConn, "INSERT INTO FlyingObjectState VALUES (...); INSERT
> INTO FlyingObjectState VALUES (...); ...");

Hmm.  I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.  You're causing the
server to take 1000 times the normal amount of memory to hold the
command parsetrees, and if there are any O(N^2) behaviors in parsing
you could be getting hurt badly by that.  (I'd like to think there are
not, but would definitely not swear to it.)  OTOH you're reducing the
number of network round trips which is a good thing.  Have you actually
measured to see what effect this approach has?  It might be worth
building a test server with profiling enabled to see if the use of such
long command strings creates any hot spots in the profile.

            regards, tom lane