Re: restoring pgsql database v7.0.3? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: restoring pgsql database v7.0.3?
Date
List pgsql-novice
dionysus <dionysus39@hotmail.com> writes:
> ... I reinstalled my OS (Redhat linux 7.1)...I am
> now trying to work out how to restore one of my user's databases to
> its previous state from an old copy of my /var/lib/pgsql directory
> (databases are in /var/lib/pgsql/data/base).....I tried simply
> overwriting the fresh install with the files from my backup, but that
> somehow corrupted my installation - I had to reinstall the package

A complete restore of /var/lib/pgsql/data/ should have worked, if the
dump was taken while the database was idle.  If you try to restore
selectively it will likely not work --- pg_log has to be in sync with
all of the data files.  A filesystem dump of an active database is
unlikely to yield consistent results either.

            regards, tom lane