Re: [PERFORM] DELETE taking too much memory

From: Vincent de Phily
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] DELETE taking too much memory
Date: ,
List: pgsql-general

Tree view

DELETE taking too much memory  (vincent dephily, )
 Re: [PERFORM] DELETE taking too much memory  ("French, Martin", )
  Re: [PERFORM] DELETE taking too much memory  (Vincent de Phily, )
 Re: DELETE taking too much memory  (Guillaume Lelarge, )
  Re: DELETE taking too much memory  (Dean Rasheed, )
   Re: DELETE taking too much memory  (Vincent de Phily, )
    Re: DELETE taking too much memory  (Dean Rasheed, )
     Re: [PERFORM] DELETE taking too much memory  (Claudio Freire, )
   Re: [PERFORM] DELETE taking too much memory  (Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa, )

On Friday 08 July 2011 10:31:33 French, Martin wrote:
> If the query planner thinks it has the default amount of memory (128MB)
> and the stats are out of date, then it will by no means be able to plan
> proper execution.
>
> I would recommend setting the effective_cache_size to an appropriate
> value, running "analyze" on both tables with an appropriate stats
> target, and then explaining the query again to see if it's more
> accurate.

Yes, I'll schedule those two to run during the night and repost an explain,
for information. However, we worked around the initial problem by running the
delete in smaller batches.

Thanks.
--
Vincent de Phily