Re: Alpha test - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Alpha test
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> example, we have *no* evidence to suggest that that NOFIXADE stuff in
>> main.c is needed on platforms that don't define __alpha.  I would tend
>> to take an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach, especially on
>> platforms we don't have handy to test.

> The problem was that certain cases tested for __alpha__ and some
> __alpha --- same with __sparc.

My point is that without testing, you have no way to know that that
variation is not correct, and perhaps even necessary.  Given that this
code has been through many releases already, I think the odds that you
are breaking something are higher than the odds that you are fixing
something.  I think you should leave well enough alone until we get an
actual bug report showing that there's a problem.

            regards, tom lane