Re: logfile subprocess and Fancy File Functions - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: logfile subprocess and Fancy File Functions
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm pretty much against allowing configuration editing from remote
>> altogether.

> Why can't they just use COPY to replace the contents of pg_hba.conf now?

If you've write-protected it, that doesn't work.

Also, COPY insists on an absolute path, and if the attacker doesn't know
the value of $PGDATA or $HOME then he'll have some difficulty doing
anything much with it.  I thought that the handy default of $PGDATA in
the proposed functions was pretty unwise all by itself --- if they don't
require absolute paths then that's still another new door we'll be opening.

            regards, tom lane