Re: [BUGS] Postgres storing time in strange manner - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] Postgres storing time in strange manner
Date
Re: [BUGS] Postgres storing time in strange manner  (Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>)
List pgsql-novice
> On Sunday 15 September 2002 10:11 am, Rod Taylor wrote:
>> On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 03:57, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
>>> I don't have a clue why it's doing this - has anyone else seen this sort
>>> of behavior, or know why it might be doing it?  It shows times wrong, for
>>> instance, it shows 00:04:60 where it should show 00:05:00.  See below:
>>
>> There are actually 61 seconds in some minutes.  In order to accommodate
>> leap seconds, PostgreSQL allows this to happen -- similarly to how it
>> will also allow 366 days in some years.

True but irrelevant -- PG does not do accounting for leap seconds.

The roundoff bug Casey is looking at is fixed in recent PG versions;
I'd recommend an update to 7.2.2.

            regards, tom lane