Re: Inconsistencies of service failure handling on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Inconsistencies of service failure handling on Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> While playing on Windows with services, I noticed an inconsistent behavior
> in the way failures are handled when using a service for a Postgres
> instance.
> However when a backend process is directly killed something different
> happens.

Was that a backend that you directly killed?  Or the postmaster?  The
subsequent connection failures suggest it was the postmaster.  Killing
the postmaster is not a supported operation, not on Windows and not
anywhere else either.  It's in the category of "doctor, it hurts when
I do this".