Re: [HACKERS] Time to change pg_regress diffs to unified by default? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Time to change pg_regress diffs to unified by default?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I think one problem is that diff -u is not as portable as diff -c.  For
> example, the HP-UX 11 man page of diff doesn't list it.

FWIW, I can confirm that HPUX 10.20's diff hasn't got it.  That would
not affect gaur/pademelon, if we make this change, because I installed
GNU diffutils on that machine a decade or two ago.  It might be a bigger
issue for the other HPUX critters though.

Some other data points:

* POSIX 2008 requires diff -u.
* SUS v2 (POSIX 1997) does not.
* My other pet dinosaur, prairiedog (macOS 10.4 something), has it.