Re: Usability ideas: text width and headers that are links - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Usability ideas: text width and headers that are links
Date
List pgsql-docs
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. Comments inline:

On 10/21/22 9:54 AM, Niels Bom wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have 2 small ideas to improve the usability of the PostgreSQL documentation. I'm looking at v15 (1) mostly.
>
> Idea 1:
> Give the text width of the main content a max width.

Why? Can you please provide examples? Screenshots are OK.

> Idea 2:
> Each h3 and h4 element should be a link pointing to the nearest parent section with an id. This makes deeplinking to
specificparts of a page easier. This prevents people from having to scroll to the top, find out which
table-of-content-linkthey have to click to get the deeplink of where they wanted to link. This is actually quite a
commonpattern. See the Python docs (2) and the Mozilla docs (3) as examples. The pattern on those sites is even a
littlenicer by showing an icon on hover.

This has been on my backlog for awhile, i.e. to have the hovering
"anchor holders". I'll try to move it up on the list.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment