Re: I/O on select count(*) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: I/O on select count(*)
Date
List pgsql-performance
Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:
> ... To put that another way:  if I've run a manual vacuum, is it true
> that it will have updated all the hint bits to XMIN_COMMITTED for all the
> tuples that were all done when the vacuum started?

Any examination whatsoever of a tuple --- whether by vacuum or any
ordinary DML operation --- will update its hint bits to match the
commit/abort status of the inserting/deleting transaction(s) as of
the instant of the examination.  Your statement above is true but
is weaker than reality.

            regards, tom lane