Re: pg_dump compress - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump compress
Date
List pgsql-general
Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> writes:
> On Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:16:11 am Roger Niederland wrote:
>> [ pg_dump 9.1 no longer honors -Z when emitting plain text ]

> Not sure why the compression was removed, there is no explanation in either the
> commit or the release notes.  If you are interested, the commit that removed it
> is:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;f=src/bin/pg_dump/pg_dump.c;h=7f508f1c6b515df66d27f860b2faa7b5761fa55d

It appears to me that this was just a careless misunderstanding of what
pg_dump is supposed to do with this switch.  Heikki, do you recall any
intentional change here, and if so why wasn't it documented?

            regards, tom lane