Re: About method of PostgreSQL's Optimizer - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: About method of PostgreSQL's Optimizer
Date
List pgsql-performance
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> Pryscila B Guttoski wrote:
>> On my master course, I'm studying the PostgreSQL's optimizer.
>> I don't know if anyone in this list have been participated from the
>> PostgreSQL's Optimizer development, but maybe someone can help me on this
>> question.

> pgsql-hackers might be more appropriate.

AFAIK the basic code goes back to Berkeley days.  Elein might possibly
remember something about it, but no one else that's on the project now
was involved then.  The right place to look would be in the Berkeley
project's publications:

http://db.cs.berkeley.edu//papers/

I agree with Neil's point that it's a spiritual descendant of System R
and there's plenty of material about that in the general database
literature.

            regards, tom lane