Re: Postgre SQL 7.1 cygwin performance issue. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postgre SQL 7.1 cygwin performance issue.
Date
List pgsql-performance
"Christopher Browne" <cbbrowne@gmail.com> writes:
> On 8/28/06, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> There's no solution short of upgrading.

> That's a little too negative.  There is at least one alternative,
> possibly two...

But both of those would probably involve work comparable to an upgrade.

There is another reason for not encouraging these folk to stay on 7.1
indefinitely, which is that 7.1 still has the transaction ID wraparound
problem.  It *will* --- not might, WILL --- eat their data someday.
Without knowing anything about their transaction rate, I can't say
whether that will happen tomorrow or not for many years, but insisting
on staying on 7.1 is a dangerous game.

            regards, tom lane