Re: Intuitive Software and Mario Brothers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Stone
Subject Re: Intuitive Software and Mario Brothers
Date
List pgsql-general
WELL... I did that, and , LO AND  BEHOLD,... there
the darn thing is.... now WHO in the name of Heaven would ever dream
of going there and right clicking?
Maybe it was some bloke called Gates who couldn't figure out what to do with a single button mouse. After all, it is "intuitive", isn't it?

-----Original Message-----
From: Typing80wpm@aol.com [mailto:Typing80wpm@aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2005 1:46 AM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] Intuitive Software and Mario Brothers

I just had an amusing thought, this morning. You know those
old Mario Brothers games, video games , where you have to bounce
on everything you see, every rock and tree and flower.... until you
discover the secret place where you get power points, or warp into the next level?

Well. A lot of software is just like that!

Last night, trying to make a VBA routine to talk to
Postgresql through MSAccess with ODBC.... it is like BOINKING and poking on every single place, nook and cranny.... until you get it right, by accident.  Come to think of it, I did hours of boinking and poking to get Postgresql windows install to work. (They should just have a few words for dummies like me, saying "Hey, dont be afraid to install this as a windows service, because the uninstall can undo everything,... AND dont think of installing it as the other option, unless you really know what you are doing, and can do the initdb thingey yourself, because it just wont work.)

Some guy had a tutorial about Excel and VBA and he says "go here to add a BUTTON" to excel... so... I launch  excel, and look EVERYWHERE,... and nothing in sight,... SO, I go back  to his tutorial and he says "right click ANYWHERE in the task bar, and
these options open up"  ...