Re: Random penalties on GIN index updates? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Random penalties on GIN index updates?
Date
List pgsql-performance
jesper@krogh.cc writes:
> If i understand the technicalities correct then INSERT/UPDATES to the
> index will be accumulated in the "maintainance_work_mem" and the "user"
> being unlucky to fill it up will pay the penalty of merging all the
> changes into the index?

You can turn off the "fastupdate" index parameter to disable that,
but I think there may be a penalty in index bloat as well as insertion
speed.  It would be better to use a more conservative work_mem
(work_mem, not maintenance_work_mem, is what limits the amount of stuff
accumulated during normal inserts).

            regards, tom lane