Re: too much pgbench init output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: too much pgbench init output
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 23:14 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Actually, this whole things seems like a solution in search of a
>> problem to me.  We just reduced the verbosity of pgbench -i tenfold in
>> the very recent past - I would have thought that enough to address
>> this problem.  But maybe not.

> The problem is that

> a) It blasts out too much output and everything scrolls off the screen,
> and

Robert evidently thinks that the verbosity of the output is a feature
not a bug.  I'm not convinced that eyeballing pgbench output is a
particularly useful way to measure checkpoint stalls, but ...

> b) There is no indication of where the end is.

Well, surely *that* can be fixed in a noncontroversial way: just
print "M/N tuples done", where N is the target.