Re: Numeric patch to add special-case representations for < 8 bytes - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Numeric patch to add special-case representations for < 8 bytes
Date
List pgsql-patches
Patric Bechtel <bechtel@ipcon.de> writes:
> Tom Lane schrieb am 02.03.2007 14:38:
>> Exact decimal fractions are no longer exact when converted to base 2.

> I think multiplying with base 10 until it's a whole number, then saving
> that exponent with it, that's how I understood it.

That hardly seems likely to win in terms of calculation efficiency ---
for example, adding two numbers will now likely require a multiplication
in order to align the values for addition.  Having to store the exponent
doesn't sound that great for the original complaint of too much overhead
for short numbers, either...

            regards, tom lane