Re: Drop one-argument string_agg? (was Re: [BUGS] string_agg delimiter having no effect with order by) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Drop one-argument string_agg? (was Re: [BUGS] string_agg delimiter having no effect with order by)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Next question: exactly how should the variant HINT be phrased?
>> I'm inclined to drop the bit about explicit casts and make it read
>> something like
>>
>> HINT: No aggregate function matches the given name and argument
>> types. Perhaps you misplaced ORDER BY; ORDER BY must appear after all
>> regular arguments of the aggregate.

> Could we arrange to emit this error message only when there is an
> aggregate with the same name but different arguments?

That'd move it into the category of needing significant restructuring,
I'm afraid.  At the moment it's not apparent that it's worth it.
We're already able to limit the use of the variant hint to a pretty
darn narrow set of cases, and it is only a hint after all.